*Official name: Republic of Djibouti *Motto: "Unity, Equality, Peace" *Capital: Djibouti City *Official Languages: French, Arabic *Government: Dominant-party semi-presidential republic *Area: 8,958 sq mi* Population: (2014 estimate) 810,178 *Currency: Djiboutian franc (DJF) *Time Zone: EAT *Drives on the: right *International code: DJ (data from Wikipedia)
For Djibouti, I made these simple, tasty and gluten free banana fritters! These taste better and better with every bite, and are a great healthy desert option.
- 3 well-ripened bananas
- 2 oz. rice flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Fat for frying (butter or vegetable oil)
1. Mash bananas with a fork or use blender to make pulp;
2. Add the flour, sugar dissolved in water, and nutmeg.
3. Add water, if needed, to make batter of pancake consistency.
4. Mix well and fry like pancakes in an oiled frying pan on medium until golden brown. (Caution: the high sugar content will make this a little tricky. It may take practice. Do not flip too early, so they can set before flipping.)
5. Eat as is, or top with powdered sugar. Makes 9-12 small fritters.