*Official name: Central African Republic *Motto: "Unity, dignity, work" *Capital: Bangui *Official Languages: Sango, French *Government: provisional republic *Area: 240,534 sq mi *Population: (2014 estimate) 4,709,000 *Currency: Central African CFA franc (XAF) *Time Zone: WAT *Drives on the: right *International code: cf (data from Wikipedia)
For Central African Republic, I made Benne Wafers. Sweet sesame seed wafers, that are very similar to Florentines. I dipped mine in chocolate, and the result was heavenly. A very simple and quick recipe.
- 1 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
1. Heating oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat a dry pan over a medium flame and add the sesame seeds, stirring constantly until they start to turn a light shade of brown. Remove them from the heat and transfer to a small bowl.
3. Mix all the rest of the ingredients together and add the sesame seeds.
4. Grease a baking sheet. Drop the dough by teaspoons onto the sheet, making sure to keep two or three inches between each wafer.
5. Bake for 5-6 minutes, or until the edges of each wafer start to brown. Remove from the oven and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. To fancy them up, try drizzling or dipping in chocolate.