*Official name:Nation of Brunei, Abode of Peace Negara Brunei Darussalam *Motto: "Always in service with God's guidance" *Capital: Bandar Seri Begawan *Official Languages: Malay, English *Government: Unitary Islamic absolute monarchy *Area: 2,226 sq mi*Population: (2013 estimate) 415,717 *Currency: Brunei Dollar (BND) *Time Zone: Brunei Darussalam Time *Drives on the: left *International code: BN (data from Wikipedia)
For Brunei Darussalam, I made Getuk Lindri, also called Cassava Cake. Made with white sweet potatoes, cassava, or yucca. They are very sweet, with a custard like texture. The bright colors are traditional so have fun! They are also both gluten free and vegetarian.
Getuk Lindri (Coconut Sweet Potato Cakes)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb cassava root, white sweet potatoes or yucca
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Your choice of food coloring food coloring
- Unsweetened coconut shavings
1. Peel and cube the cassava. Steam for 30 minutes, until soft and tender. Force through a food mill or seine to remove the fibers.
2. In a small saucepan, heat sugar and vanilla with water and bring it to a boil. Add the salt. Add mashed cassava and mix until fully. Split into separate bowls and add desired food coloring.
3. Form into balls, or pipe out of a pastry bag. Let set in the refrigerator. Sprinkle with coconut shavings before serving.