*Official name: Republic of Benin *Motto: "Fraternity, Justice, Labour" *Capital: Porto-Novo *Official Languages: French *Government: Presidential Republic *Area: 44,310 sq mi *Population: (2015 estimate) 10,879,829 *Currency: Western African CFA franc (XOF) *Time Zone: WAT *Drives on the: right *International code: BJ (data from Wikipedia)
For Benin, I made Akkra Funfun. Small white bean fritters, these make a great vegetarian side dish and substitute for chicken nuggets. You can spice them up to taste with cayenne pepper, and dip them in your favorite dipping sauce. A great snack or side dish.
White Bean Fritters (Vegetarian Chicken Nuggets)
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- one standard (200g) can of white beans, or half a cup of beans soaked overnight
- one large egg
- 1/3 cup of flour
- salt to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- Blend the beans, cayenne pepper and salt together until they form a smooth, firm paste.
- Add the minced onion, egg and flour to the bean paste and stir to mix well.
- Add enough oil to a saucepan or wok to reach one or two centimetres up the side, and heat until hot enough to sizzle when a little batter is dropped in.
- Drop tablespoons of the mixture into the hot oil and fry in batches on both sides until golden. Drain cooked fritters on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle with extra cayenne pepper and serve hot.