*Official name: Aruba *Motto: 'One Happy Island' *Capital: Oranjestad *Official Languages: Dutch, Papiamento *Religion: 81% Roman Catholic *Government: Unitary parliamentary representative democracy under constitutional monarchy (under the Netherlands) *Area: 69.08 sq mi *Population: (2014 estimate) 103,400 *Currency: Aruban florin (AWG) *Time Zone: AST *Drives on the: right *International code: AW (data from Wikipedia)
For Aruba, I made cheese sticks. Gooey cheese, wrapped in pastry and deep fried. These cheese sticks are amazing. They are best fresh, but can be frozen and deep fried later.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 stick butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 15 oz of semi hard cheese (e.g. Gouda, Mozzarella etc.)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- frying oil
1. Cut the cheese and long strips and place in your fridge to prevent it becoming soft.
2. Mix half the flour, butter and egg in a bowl, and add sugar, salt and olive oil to taste into the mix. Gradually add milk.
3. Transfer to a smooth work surface and add the remaining flour. Knead well for a suitable consistency. Stretch out the dough with a rolling pin and cut into long strips (2 to 3 cm) and then roll the strips of dough around the cheese strips forming a spiral. Make sure the dough covers the cheese fully so that it doesn't melt out while frying.
4. Roll the cheese & dough strips through flour to prevent them from sticking while frying. Heat 1/2-1 inch oil in a frying pan until hot before placing the cheese sticks, and fry until golden in color.