*Official name: Republic of Albania *Motto: 'You, Albania, give me honour, give me the name Albanian' *Capital: Tirana *Official Language: Albanian *Government: Unitary parliamentary constitutional republic *Area: 11,100 sq mi *Population: (2015 estimate) 2,893,005 *Currency: Lek (ALL) *Time Zone: CET *Drives on the: right *International code: AL (data from Wikipedia)
The recipe I've chosen for Albania are round cakey cookies called Kurabie. They can be lemon or vanilla flavored, and are dusted with confectioner's sugar. Light and fluffy, and a little on the dry side, they would be an ideal companion to a cup of tea.
Kurabie - Albanian Lemon Cookies
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 packs of vanilla or the peel of half of a lemon
- 1 kg (about 35 ounces) of flour.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix the baking soda in the yogurt, add the rest of the ingredients one by one and prepare the dough.
2.With hands covered with melted butter take pieces of the dough and shape into rounds about the size of a walnut, then place them on a butter covered baking pan and leave spaces in between each piece of dough.
3. From above cover the pieces of dough with beat eggs, sprinkle sugar and cook in for 20-25 minutes.
4. Dust with confectioners sugar if desired.