A delicious chocolate recipe perfect for cooler weather. The filling is simple, and oh so tasty. Best served warm and with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
For the Pastry Dough:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
10 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1 large egg yolk
3 tbsp cold heavy cream or milk
For the Filling:
14 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, in small pieces
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
9 inch tart pan or pie pan
1. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa and butter until the texture is sandy. I like to use my hands, but you can use a food processor or electric mixer. Add egg yolk and cream (or milk) and mix just until dough forms. If it is dry, add a little more cream (or milk). Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled dough to about 1/4 inch thick and 13 inches in diameter. Line the tart pan with the dough, trim edges and prick the bottom with a fork all over. Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 340 degrees F. Line chilled tart shell with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill with raw beans or pie weights. Bake about 15 minutes. Remove the beans and parchment paper and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until baked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
4. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F. Melt the chocolate and butter, and mix together thoroughly. Beat eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and airy. Add melted chocolate and flour, mixing until smooth.
5. Pour the filling into the baked tart shell. (Do not overfill. If your tart pan is more shallow, you may have some left over filling mixture. Fill until just the top of the pan). Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until filling sets around the edges but center is still wobbly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature so that the chocolate is still soft and creamy. To make it easier to slice, put the pie in the freezer for a few minutes.