The perfect croissant needs the perfect chicken salad to finish it off. I’ve done a lot of tweaking and have finally landed on this chicken salad recipe. You can add sliced grapes or walnuts for added texture and crunch if desired.
1/8 cup white vinegar
1/8 cup sugar
1 ¼ cup mayonnaise
1 ¼ cup sour cream
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green onion
1 cup sliced grapes (optional)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the chicken. The method of cooking is up to you. I usually just boil the chicken since it will be seasoned and covered in sauce. Be careful not to over or under cook the chicken. You want it to still be moist. Once cooked and cooled, cut the chicken into a medium dice, or shred. I prefer to dice.
2. In a large bowl mix together sugar, mayonnaise, sour cream and half the vinegar. Mix well and taste. Add the rest of the vinegar as needed to taste.
3. In a separate bowl, toss the chicken, celery, green onions with salt and pepper to taste. Add grapes and walnuts (if desired).
4. Add the sauce to the chicken mixture 1 or 2 cups at a time, and mix thoroughly. Chicken should be completely coated, but not soupy.
5. I like to let my chicken salad chill for a few hours to overnight so the chicken can soak up the sauce. Save any sauce you don’t initially add, in case your salad is dry after being chilled.