Another beautiful apple pastry, this Apple Jalousie will make anyone jealous who is not eating it. A great desert, or breakfast pastry. You can freeze the pastry prior to baking to be defrosted and baked conveniently at any time.
For the puff pastry (or purchase store-bought puff pastry)
18 tbsp cold unsalted butter, frozen for 30 minutes
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
For the filling:
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 ¼ lb (1 kg) tart apples, peeled, cored, and diced (about 9 small apples)
1 in (2.5 cm) fresh ginger, finely chopped
½ cup sugar
1 large egg white, beaten
½ cup superfine sugar
1. *If using store bought puff pastry, skip to step 4 (be sure the pastry is thawed). Coarsely grate the butter into a bowl. Sift in the flour and salt. Rub together until crumbly. Pour in 1/3 cup warm water and the lemon juice. Form a rough dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Work into a ball, ten flatten slightly. Place the dough into a plastic bag and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
2. On a floured surface, thinly roll it out to a long rectangle, short sides 10 in (25 cm). Take a third of the pastry and fold it into the middle. Fold over the remaining third. Turn it over so the ends are easily sealed when it is re-rolled. Give it a quarter turn. Roll out again to a similar size as the original rectangle. Keep the short sides even in size. Repeat the folding, turning, and rolling. Put back in the bag and chill for 20 minutes.
3. Roll, fold, and turn the pastry twice more, then chill for the final 20 minutes. (You will roll out and fold a total of 5 times)
4. In a pan, melt the butter. Add the apples, ginger, and all but 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Sauté and stir for 15-20 minutes, until the apples are tender and caramelized. Let cool.
5. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to 11x13 in (28x32 cm). Cut lengthwise in half. Take one of the halves and fold it in half lengthwise, and cut across the fold at ¼ in (5mm) gaps, leaving a border.
6. Put the uncut dough on a non-stick baking sheet (lined with parchment paper) and spoon the apple along the center. Top with the cup dough. Chill for 15 minutes. (You can freeze the pastry at this point for baking later).
7. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (220 degrees C). Bake for 15-20 minutes. Brush with egg white (if desired) and sprinkle the remaining sugar. Return to the oven and continue baking for 5-10 minutes. Serve the slices warm or at room temperature.